Thanksgiving message and call for help
On Thanksgiving Day, we’re so very thankful for how far our community has come over the last seven years.
After years of being a bootstrapped effort, ScienceOnline is now an official, tax-exempt nonprofit organization with an executive director (Karyn Traphagen). Our organization is dedicated to supporting the global ScienceOnline community through activities and initiatives that promote connections, conversations, collaborations and creativity. Our signature event returns soon – ScienceOnline2013 will be our seventh annual gathering. And because the community has grown ever larger, more diverse and better connected, there are now ScienceOnline satellite groups meeting monthly. ScienceSeeker, our online window in online science news, got a sleek and powerful upgrade. ScienceOnlineTEEN will be a fun event for high school students.
And there’s more coming.
As always, Karyn and Bora and I are deeply grateful for the many ways that you all have helped ScienceOnline coalesce and grow. We strive to be good stewards of this organization, responsive to your ideas and needs, and aware of the opportunities ahead. Thank you for inspiring us through all of this, and telling us along the way about how this community has inspired or supported you. Seeing you connect with each other, and then take those connections to new heights, is very satisfying to us.
We created ScienceOnline the organization in order to sustain the momentum of the activities of the community. Nonprofit organizations, of course, need funding in order to sustain their activities. We’re new to running an organization of this size, and we need your help.
Here’s how you can assist:
- Identify and alert us to any and all grants, requests for proposals (RFPs) and applications (RFAs), and other funding opportunities that look like a good fit for ScienceOnline and the type of programming we do.
- Introduce us to foundation program officers, agency leads or other business executives who might respond well to the ScienceOnline story and our shared mission.
- If you oversee a budget at work, consider appropriate ways that you might be able to support ScienceOnline, perhaps through a marketing or sponsorship contribution.
- Make a personal (tax-deductible) donation, or mention our organization to a rich relative or neighbor who wins the Lotto (no need to forward us the widow-of-a-dictator-with-millions messages – we get plenty of those ourselves).
- Send us ideas for ways small or grand that ScienceOnline can build revenue streams (yes, we’ll have a T-shirt for you to buy!).
- Be an example of what makes ScienceOnline special: attend a satellite meetup, connect and share on social media, mentor a student, celebrate science and learning and life.
Wherever you are today, we wish you the best. We know we are better for connecting with you all, and we’re excited to see how ScienceOnline grows in 2013.